Monday, May 10, 2010

artist statement?

In the past three years that I have been photographing, the great majority of my photos have involved women models. This assignment "You can do anything, but there can only be one photo", was probably the hardest for me to come up with. When i take photographs, I like to take as many as i possibly can, so they all tell a story. I finally came up with an idea, I wanted to photograph women and fruit. Women have been related to fruit throughout art for a very long time, and I wanted to see if i could replicate an image. When i presented my idea in class, Ms. MacWright liked it, but said "Why don't you challenge yourself, and use men for models". At first I wasn't too sure how i would be able to link men with fruit, but i finally decided i would give it a go. This tryptich is called "Give a boy fruit". All i did for these photos was give each boy a piece of fruit, then they "played with it". I wanted to see what they would do when given a piece of fruit, if they would squeeze it, eat it, juggle it, or just hold it. The only "staged" part of these photographs were the shirts. I did tell each boy to wear a plain colored shirt, with the same color as the fruit. I will be attending school for photography in the fall, and I will always take Ms. MacWrights' advice to become a better photographer and challenge myself.

1 comment:

  1. This is very sweet, Ariel, but no need to mention me in your Artist Statement. Give this another once over for grammar and silly mistakes - remember to capitalize your "I's." The core of this statement is very good; I like that you are telling the story of challenging yourself and expressing a commitment to continued growth. All that is missing is a proofread or two.

    ReplyDelete